Thursday, December 17, 2009

Seattle, Predeparture



A lot has happened since my last post. Perhaps the biggest news was the successful first flight of the 787 Dreamliner on December 15, 2009, which was amazing to witness. The other big news (in my life, anyway) was getting the chance to officially photograph my first big concert: Visqueen at Deck the Hall Ball. Sure, I've been covering moderately big shows in the area, but this was a different animal--photo pit and all. It was exciting, not gonna lie. What made it even better was the fact that lead singer Rachel Flotard is preparing for (and currently, as I write) doing aid work in Laos, after a quick trip to Cambodia. I am intrigued that a local talent donates her time to doing aid work in Southeast Asia...you can follow the hyperlinks to read about her adventures in Laos last year at her blog, my photos from the show, and my review of the show, which includes the inspiring story behind her band, Visqueen.

Tomorrow is my last full day in Seattle before I embark on my big trip. It's a little daunting, since, as per usual, I am leaving packing to the very last minute. I think the only time this strategy failed me was back in middle school when I arrived at my destination only to discover that I hadn't packed any underwear. Luckily, mom was traveling with me, and she saved the day. In this case, I'm doing my best to remember that I almost always overpack, and I can usually purchase any items of necessity at my destination point. Still, packing is no easy task, thus why it waits until...tomorrow.

To close, I am going to post a photo of the day. This is something I want to try incorporating into my posts, just because I have thousands of photos and each has an unrecorded story behind it. When I'm old with dementia, it would be nice to remember some of these memories.

Suzi's Photo of the Day


A Coruña, Spain (España) in Spring 2007
I might have mentioned in earlier posts that I studied abroad in Granada, Spain for one semester in 2007. This photo was taken in the Northwestern region of Spain known as Galicia, in the town A Coruña. Pictured are myself (in the middle), my roommate, and two of our study abroad classmates. The four of us traveled to Galicia upon hearing rave reviews from our host families and classmates. This was one of my absolute favorite regions of Spain, partially because it was like the Pacific Northwest in that it was green and rainy, and thus the polar opposite of southern Spain, where it was warm, dry, and brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment